Sunday, August 21, 2011

Anna Kranti

From the very early days of my life, I have watched the videos of revolutions in different parts of the world and wondered. Wondered what makes these people come to streets, what motivates them to fight for a cause, what inspires them to sacrifice everything for their country. Well, I found my answers today.

At 10 am today when my friend (Anshul Gautam) asked me if I wanted to go to the rally, I said yes. To be very frank, I wasnt sure if I would go. I had a tedious job of shifting the room at hand. But finally I decided that this is my chance of doing something for my country which I always dreamt of. We reached New Delhi Metro Station at around 2 30 pm. The scene inside the station was unbelievable. Chants like 'Vande Mataram', 'Inquilab Zindabad' , 'Anna Zindabad' echoed everywhere. People had tricolors on their faces, around their necks and their heads proudly showed off the "MAIN ANNA HOON" caps. Scenes at the Ram Leela Maidan were even more astonishing. 50 60 thousand people sitting , chanting , listening to the various leaders whilst watching ANNA sit in the background. Volunteers from children to elderly giving bananas and water to all those gathered. No one was paying them, they just wanted to.




India Gate was even more drowned in Tri-Color. I cant even tell a number as to how many people were there, lacs maybe. The Maha Rally started when Kiran Bedi arrived. The entire rally was a humbling experience for me. The power of people was on display on the streets of Delhi. Chants like "Sonia jiski mummy hai, wo sarkar nikammi hai" and "gali ka kutta kaisa ho, Kapil Sibbal jaisa ho" gave vent to the feelings of the common man. Be it kids, senior citizens, women, physically handicapped, everybody was rallying. Of course, the media men were present and as Indians we tend to dance even better when a camera is on us. As we had to come back to Ghaziabad we did not enter the Ram Leela Ground, rather came back straight away.

I have no idea what lies in the future. Whether the bill will get passed or not, whether the govt accepts all demands or not. All I know is that during the entire day, I had to drink water and eat a banana in regular intervals to beat the heat, when a man, a warrior, an Indian was sitting in the ground without food, with a smile on his face. The respect automatically seeps in. As the chants would say, "Anna tum sangharsh karo, hum tumhare sath hain".


MAIN ANNA HOON.



1 comment: